How to join
Recruiting new members!
We are always recruiting new members. You are eligible to apply if you meet the following.
– You are 18 or older
– You are the owner/operator of a street legal 4×4 vehicle equipped with a CB Radio
– You are a resident of Thurston County or live in Lewis, Mason or Pierce County within 30 minutes of the Thurston County courthouse
– Have a valid WA State Driver’s License and proof of insurance
– Able to pass a Thurston County Sheriff’s Office background check
– Able to volunteer at least 60 hours per year
– Able to work well in a team environment and communicate effectively under pressure
The unit meets every 3rd Wednesday of the month and conducts various training activities each month. New applicants are welcome to attend a meeting to learn more about our organization.
All SAR volunteers must complete NIMS ICS-100 and IS-700. Jeep Patrol Level 2 members also require ICS-200 and IS-800. These are lifetime certifications and need only be completed once. All NIMS certificates are obtained for free online on the FEMA website: https://training.fema.gov/nims/